Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) contains tanshinone, protocatechuic aldehyde, protocatechuic acid, tanshinol, vitamin E and other ingredients. It has the efficacy of promoting blood-flow to regulate menstruation, removing blood stasis and relieving pain, cooling blood and removing carbuncle, clearing away heat to arrest irritability, nourishing blood and calming the nerves etc.
- Cardiotonic Effect: Enhance cardiac contractility and improve cardiac function without increasing myocardial oxygen consumption, Increase coronary blood flow; increases cardiac output.
- Increase cerebral blood flow hence improves cerebral circulation
- Prevents thrombosis, inhibit platelet aggregation and reduce blood viscosity. It extends the coagulation time, largely reduces total blood cholesterol levels, and eliminates atherosclerotic plaque.
- Improves the micro-circulation: It has the effects of dissolving blood stasis to arrest bleeding, promoting blood flow and relieving pain.
- Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) can be used for the treatment of arrhythmia through calcium antagonism, stabilizing the cell membrane, scavenging free radicals, and promoting energy production and use.
- Compound Danshen tablets have some effects in lowering blood pressure and improving left ventricular diastolic function, and promoting the release of vascular relaxing factor. Also helps in ventricular hypertrophy.
- It inhibits lipid peroxide, removes oxygen free radical, increases SOD (superoxide dismutase) activity, and protects cell damage from oxidative attack.